#thanksobama: Pregnant woman in labor was stopped from crossing street to hospital because President's motorcade was on the way to a fundraiser
- Obama is in California this week fundraising for Demcorats
- Streets all over Los Angeles are closed because of the president
- Yesterday police kept a woman in labor from getting to the hospital because Obama's motorcade was about to come through
- An LAPD spokesman confirmed the story to MailOnline but said police did not know the woman was in labor when she first asked to cross the street
- The spokesman said the woman later gave birth at the hospital. 'She had her baby and did not give birth on the street or anything like that'
A Twitter user documented the unidentified woman sitting on a bus bench for roughly half an hour, waiting for the president and his entourage to pass through, as she was attended to by another woman in scrubs.
'This woman is in labor but can't get to Cedars[Sinai Medical Center] cuz of Obama!!!,' Carrie Clifford tweeted, along with a photo of the very pregnant-looking woman.
After Clifford tweeted photos of the woman, KNBC reporter Robert Kovacik rushed to the scene.
Kovacik talked to a police officer who told him that the LAPD would allow the woman to go to the hospital 'as soon as we can.'
'It looks like the motorcade is coming through right about now, so we’ll be able to open it up for traffic,' he said. 'The first thing we’ll try to get through will be an ambulance.'
An LAPD spokesman confirmed the story to MailOnline on Thursday but said the police did not know the woman was in labor when she first asked to cross the street.
'She didn't tell them she was in labor and gave no indication of urgency,' he said.
'She waited a while before her husband asked how much longer it would be before they could cross. He still did not say she was in labor, just that she needed to go to the hospital.
'Officers requested an ambulance, but a nurse happened to be there so she chatted to her. In the meantime the motorcade passed and she was able to make it over the road to the hospital before the ambulance even arrived.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2704357/ThanksObama-Presidents-motorcade-prevents-woman-labor-getting-LA-hospital-30-minutes.html#ixzz38R2Mh8fh
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook