Wednesday, September 10, 2008

23,000 show up for McCain Palin rally in Fairfax, Virginia

And COMMON CENTS was there. The word that comes to mind immediately is inspiring. The crowd was clearly delighted to see Sarah Palin and Senator McCain here in Northern Virginia. The line to enter the park stretched over a mile through the local neighborhoods and the crowd itself was filed with happy, positive and energetic people. I ran into one middle aged woman who commented to me "I never thought I'd be at a Republican Rally". I said "Good for you" and "We believe in forgiveness of sins!" She laughed. As stated the local fire marshal estimated the crowd at 23,000. National Review writes:
The message of the day, at least the word circulating among people in the crowd, was hope. This was a group of Republicans that — they’ll admit this now — had pretty much given up hope a few months ago. Now, with McCain’s selection of Palin as his running mate, things are different. “I think we really have a chance now,” a woman named Shirley, of Fairfax, told me. “It’s amazing.”

Everybody else seemed to think the same thing. I approached a woman named Carolyn, from Arlington, who told me she helped found the Independent Women’s Forum several years ago. “I am so proud of what she represents,” Carolyn said of Palin. “I wish my friend Barbara Olson were here to see this, because she would be thrilled. This is an incredible moment.”








Channel 7 (Washington DC) aired this report of the rally:

3 comments:

Mark said...

I was there, too. You were apparently on the other side from me, and further back. I have some of the pictures I took on my blog, too.

I drove up from Fredericksburg. It should have taken 46 minutes, but instead, it took almost 2 hours, but I gotr a good parking space right across the street from the park and down about a 16th of a mile fomr the park entrance.

Kris said...

i would have been there with bells on ...

kw

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Love that top photo! Did you take it?

Wow...mark was there as well? Cool!