A mother-of-two described tonight how she put her own life on the line by trying to persuade the soldier's murderers to hand over their weapons. Cub scout leader Ingrid Loyau-Kennett selflessly engaged the terrorists in conversation and kept her nerve as one of them told her: "We want to start a war in London tonight." Mrs Loyau-Kennett, 48, from Cornwall, was one of the first people on the scene after the two Islamic extremists butchered a soldier in Woolwich, south east London.
She was photographed by onlookers confronting one of the attackers who was holding a bloodied knife.
Mrs Loyau-Kennett was a passenger on a number 53 bus which was travelling past the scene, and jumped off to check the soldier's pulse. "Being a cub leader I have my first aid so when I saw this guy on the floor I thought it was an accident then I saw the guy was dead and I could not feel any pulse.
"And then when I went up there was this black guy with a revolver and a kitchen knife, he had what looked like butcher's tools and he had a little axe, to cut the bones, and two large knives and he said 'move off the body'. "So I thought 'OK, I don't know what is going on here' and he was covered with blood. I thought I had better start talking to him before he starts attacking somebody else. I thought these people usually have a message so I said 'what do you want?'
"I asked him if he did it and he said yes and I said why? And he said because he has killed Muslim people in Muslim countries, he said he was a British soldier and I said really and he said 'I killed him because he killed Muslims and I am fed up with people killing Muslims in Afghanistan they have nothing to do there."
Moments earlier, the killers had hacked at the soldier "like a piece of meat", and when Mrs Loyau-Kennett arrived on the scene they were roaming John Wilson Street waiting for police to arrive so they could stage a final confrontation with them.
Once again The Daily Mail is all over the story:
'I wasn't scared. Better me than a child': Incredible courage of the woman Cub Scout leader who confronted knife-wielding Islamic fanatic moments after he had slaughtered soldier in London street
One of the arrested men named online as British Nigerian Michael Adebolajo
- Known by the Muslim name Muhajid, he has links to Lincoln and London
- Soldier killed in street execution and his other injiured killer not yet named
- Terrorists ran him down in the street with car before 'hacking him to pieces'
- Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, 48, jumped off her bus when she saw the dead man
- Cub leader then spoke to attackers for 20 minutes to stop them killing again
- The suspects charged at officers when they arrived, who gunned them down
- Suspects are under armed guard in separate London hospitals
- English Defence League hold protest in Woolwich and scuffle with police
- David Cameron chairs Cobra meeting after returning from Paris last night
- Britain's been attacked in past - ‘we'll never buckle in the face of it’, he said